Re: Reality (was RE: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.)

2006-04-12 02:32:12
Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
On 11-apr-2006, at 15:58, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

However, geographic addressing could give us aggregation with provider independece.

You'll have to produce the BGP4 table for a pretty compelling  simulation
model of a worldwide Internet with a hundred million enterprise customers
and ten billion total hosts to convince me. I'm serious.

Which properties would you like to examine in such a model? It shouldn't be too problematic to simulate a routing table of 100 million entries (I'm assuming there won't be any host routes...) in non real time, but simulating the interactions between several routers per AS for several ASes will be harder at this scale.

Yes, simulating convergence times would be quite a challenge.
So I think a sufficient initial target would be the converged
BGP4 table in a core ISP. Even that will need a model for how
enterprises, ISPs, ASes, peering and exchanges are distributed
around the world. Lots of assumptions to specify.

   Brian