Re: [narten(_at_)us(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

2006-04-14 12:14:11
    > From: Scott Leibrand <sleibrand(_at_)internap(_dot_)com>

    > the desire not to pass a "PI for everyone" policy that would explode
    > the routing table.

Interesting that you should mention that, because there's zero technical
differentiation between "PI space" and "portable addresses". So I have to
wonder if this initiative will raise the pressure from users for portable
addresses.

PS: > From: Kevin Loch <kloch(_at_)hotnic(_dot_)net>

    > I find this comment extremely offensive. ... Your implication that the
    > participants were either uninformed or diddn't care about the
    > consequences is completely off base.

There's a certain deep irony here, because PI-addresses have been considered
at length in the IETF in at least two different WG's - CIDR-D and Multi-6.
Both rejected them after extensive discussion.

Nevertheless, a policy-making body has seen fit to ignore that, and make an
engineering decision to deploy PI-space. It's hard to read that decision any
other way than to have it imply that the decisions in those WG's were
technically uninformed.

        Noel