RE: [narten(_at_)us(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

2006-04-15 09:58:56
    > portability could be one outcome.

Given that the point of this PI exercise seems to be to increase the
viability of IPv6, maybe you should go for it, and add number
portability
too? That should further increase the viability.

The IETF is an engineering organization. Engineers are good at
engineering, not so good at setting policy. Let's assume that the policy
is driven externally, and that engineers cannot impose their preferred
solution. Some will say that the sky has begun to fall, and retire in an
ivory tower of gloom. The optimistic engineer, on the other hand, will
take that as a challenge.

Clearly, the current set-up based on BGP and "default-free" tables is
not set to absorb more than a small number of PI prefixes -- maybe a few
thousands, maybe a few tens of thousands, certainly not a few hundred of
millions. But who says that we cannot change it? Number portability,
after all, only requires a layer of indirection. We can certainly
engineer that!

-- Christian Huitema