Re: [narten(_at_)us(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

2006-04-18 12:45:34
On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 11:42:27AM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
It smells remarkably like pathalias to me ;-)

except that I'm not proposing that border routers do source routing,
just that they map from PI identifiers to PA locators and prepend a
header that causes the payload to be routed to the locator.

And that sounds exactly like pathalias and what the Usenet/SMTP smart
routers did, yes?

not in my recollection.  It's been awhile, but I recall pathalias being
used to do source routing - given a hostname, to specify a complete
path to that host.  (I also recall it sometimes being used to do
rerouting - discarding the current source route and replacing it with
one thought to be better.  It's also my recollection that the latter
tended to cause routing loops and dropped messages.)

I don't recall pathalias being used to replace a global
location-independent identifer with an aggregatable global locator.
UUCP didn't have any such beast.

Hopefully though they wouldn't require as much CPU
power to calculate as pathalias database required

pathalias was trying to add automatic routing to uucp.  we're already
doing routing in the internet, and I don't see how what's being
discussed here will increase the complexity of those computations over
what they already are.

as far as I can tell, we're talking about ways to make routing
computations _more_ efficient.   adding a layer of indirection that
hides locators from end networks should allow locators to be strictly
PA and even to be renumbered from time to time  without impacting users.

Keith