Re: [narten(_at_)us(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

2006-04-17 12:49:15
Number portability,
after all, only requires a layer of indirection. We can certainly
engineer that!

And we have. It's called the DNS.

no it's not.  DNS sucks for that.  it's too slow, too likely to be out of sync.
DNS names are the wrong kinds of names for this.  the protocol is poorly
adapted for this purpose, the infrastructure is worse.

I agree with Christian.  we can build indirection into the routing
infrastructure.   it's probably the right way to go.

Keith