Re: 66th IETF - Registration and Hotel Accommodations

2006-04-20 13:21:24

--On Thursday, 20 April, 2006 14:15 -0500 Pete Resnick
<presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 4/20/06 at 8:04 AM -0700, Ole Jacobsen wrote:

There is at least one hotel closer to the venue also, the
InterContinental.

The Delta seems to be 3 (rather long) blocks west and the
InterContinental just across the street to the southwest.

Does anybody know the walking distances to the venue from
hotels on the east side? I plan to vacation there the week
before, and both the Hôtel XIXe siècle and the Hôtel Place
d'Armes look charming and within a block or two (and I can get
a decent rate).

(For the record, the Holiday Inn Select Centre-Ville seems
really close, and relatively cheap. The St-James is also
close, but now so cheap. :-) )

While I don't have the information you are looking for, I note
two things about this process and announcement:

        (1) This is the first time I can remember that the
        meeting has not been at the hotel and the
        announcement/posting has not contained any information
        at all about topics like relative locations of the hotel
        and conference facility or related logistics.  Brian's
        "said to be a short walk" is reassuring, but it would be
        much better if that information were available from the
        web site and more precise there.  The fact that the
        location map, which is supposed to be in PDF, can't be
        opened by Acrobat doesn't help much.

        (2) While it probably isn't the first time, I remember
        few, if any, cases in which we have been given the
        option of exactly one hotel (a hotel with a room block
        too small to accommodate all IETF attendees) and
        insufficient information for people to track down
        alternatives, at least without a lot of questions
        similar to those Pete asks above.

FWIW, if this represents a trend of meeting and logistics
plannings and announcements under the new regime, it is not one
that I find reassuring.

This is the first time in a long time I'm seriously
considering *not* staying at the conference hotel. I'm not
sure I see the point.

Free Internet access?  Same bar most other people are trying to
meet in (as far as I can tell from the web site, the hotel's
(only?) bar closes at 11PM.  There might be other options, but,
if they exist, it isn't possible to tell from the information we
have been supplied.

     john