Re: Last Call: 'NAT Behavioral Requirements for Unicast UDP' to BCP (draft-ietf-behave-nat-udp)

2006-05-18 19:46:45
If we change this to "address independent", close to 100% of NATs produced will be non behave compliant. At this point applications will have nothing they can rely on and we will be at the same point we are now and the BEHAVE WG will have been reduce to an irrelevant waste of time.

what's the point of this exercise? to encourage predictable behavior that applications cannot use? to give NAT vendors a seal of approval?

maybe it's just not possible to specify a NAT such that it's useful to application writers and vendors will build it...at least, not without significant functionality beyond just address translation and packet filtering.

Keith