RFC Author Count and IPR

2006-05-24 09:38:59
I am concerned that the current RFC Editor practice that limits the number of authors is in conflict with the IETF IPR policies. The RFC Editor currently limits the author count to five people. Recent IPR WG discussions make it clear to me that authors retain significant copyright.

In one of the working groups in the Security Area, there is a document with six authors on it. I asked the WG chairs to reduce the author count in the hope of avoiding a problem down the road. At that time, I was not aware of the copyright. Now, I think I gave the WG Chairs inappropriate directions.

The IESG and the whole Internet Community needs clear direction on this issue. I suspect that the IPR WG will be a part of the process to resolve it. Also, the Tech Spec document, which is currently in Last Call, many need to include a requirement that the RFC Editor explicitly acknowledge copyright holders in some fashion.

Russ