RE: LC on draft-mankin-pub-req-08.txt

2006-05-25 19:47:40

--On Thursday, 25 May, 2006 20:27 -0500 "Stephen Hayes (TX/EUS)"
<stephen(_dot_)hayes(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com> wrote:

After some consideration, I can understand how the current
text in mankin-pub-req would be discouraging to the technical
publisher.

If we changed "refrain from" to "exercise restraint in making"
in requirements POSTEDIT-3 and POSTEDIT-4, I assume this would
solve Joel and John's concerns.

Yes, from my standpoint, that would be a very significant
improvement.

The question now is if I will get shot from the "keep your
grubby hands off my document" crowd.

One hopes not.  But that question is, of course, intimately
related to whether there is actually a plausible pre-approval
editing process (not just a suggestion process to editors, but
actual definitive editing).  If there is no such process, then,
for some very significant number of cases "keep your hands off
my document" would be equivalent to "publish ungrammatical,
badly-written and badly-organized trash".   And I don't think
anyone really wants that.

    john