RE: LC on draft-mankin-pub-req-08.txt

2006-05-25 18:06:43
John Klensin wrote:
Stephen, I routinely complain about too much editing -- if not
on every document I submit for RFC publication, at least most of
them.   I believe that, in the last couple of years there has
been a trend toward more editing that I consider gratuitous,
e.g., changing one correct and consistent style to another one.
So I may well be the source of some of the complaints you heard.
On the other hand, I'm appalled by the editorial and
presentation quality of some of the documents that I've seen go
to the RFC Editor, even after Last Call and IESG signoff.

In my opinion, absent something that the document skirts, the
"current highly restrictive reading" goes much too far.  Yes, I
understand the desire to counterbalance both natural tendencies
and some history of over-editing.  But, to the extent to which
this document is expected, post-last-call, to form part of the
basis for solicitation of people who are interested in doing the
job and selection from among those people, and then of a
contract with the selected party, I believe it goes _much_ too
far: that degree of restrictiveness is simply not what we want
or need, IMO.

Do you have any suggested text?  What I am hearing is something like be frugal
in changes except when the document needs it, which IMHO doesn't seem to help.

Stephen