Re: The Emperor Has No Clothes: Is PANA actually useful?

2006-05-26 06:54:39
Hi Lakshminath,

I guess there are differences in our understanding of 3G-WLAN
interworking (and I could be wrong), but the point is that they (plan
to) use EAP over IKEv2.  We can try and debate the details offline, as
that is not central to the discussion here.

There's no question of whether IKEv2/EAP is being used. 3G-WLAN
interworking is one example, Unlicensed Mobile Access is another
one, what IKEv2/EAP was originally designed for is corporate
VPN access, etc.

But in most of these cases the usage is really VPN like, i.e., you
already have Internet connectivity but to get to a closed network
or service you contact a gateway via IKEv2. That gateway is often
known beforehand and it could be in the other side of the world.

Access control to get your Internet connectivity is another
matter. 3G-WLAN, for instance, assumes local mechanisms
for that in addition to whatever VPN to the home network.
The specs don't really say much about what the
local mechanisms are except that they need to be
EAP-based if authentication via the 3G network is
desired. But the assumption is that on a 802.11 network,
802.11i would get used.

This leaves still the question of whether IKEv2/EAP or
PANA could be used to provide access control for the
Internet connectivity. More on that in my other e-mail.

--Jari