RE: The Emperor Has No Clothes: Is PANA actually useful?

2006-05-26 06:48:52
In reading the PANA Framework document, what I read seemed to me to be more of a "system" or "solution" document than a clean IETF protocol framework.

I saw efforts to address three different problems:
1) Securing an otherwise unsecured link, when the access node is not known to the client in advance.
2) Selecting an authorization (charging, possibly packet handling) service
3) Authenticating the user

EAP over IP (or UDP, or link) is about authenticating the user. If a media independent technique better than just using a browser is needed, then solve that problem. Personally, I would find the work far more persuasive if it did not also try to solve the problem of creating an IPSec association to the access device, nor of the authorization selection problem.

And spell out in clear English what use case needs that problem solved. I can read between the lines and start to guess. But the document is quite unclear. The appendix about DSL is not helpful in that regard.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern