Re: The Emperor Has No Clothes: Is PANA actually useful?

2006-05-26 09:14:30

Ralph Droms wrote:
Dave - one quick follow on to your observation about "will not work" that
falls somewhere between "will not work" and "don't like it".  There is
another possibility: "works, but there's a much simpler way to meet the same
requirements"...

ahh, good. this nicely permits making the underlying distinction a bit more strongly:

"There is a much simpler way to meet the requirements" states an engineering preference. Further, it often involves comparing a concrete specification against an unspecified idea. The issue therefore is not whether the criticism is valid -- it often is -- but that it falls primarily into the "I don't like it" category.

If there is a better way to solve a problem, those supporting the alternative ought to go and specify it and gain community adoption. Otherwise, we suffer the danger of preventing deployment of *any* capability, since we will always be waiting for work to get done on that simpler way of meeting the same requirements.

The folks who actually did the work ought get to test that work in the market place... unless there is a clear basis for claiming that it won't work and reasonable consensus that the basis is valid.

d/

ps. The process model that informs this line of thinking says that we should be strict in demanding strong indication of community support, when an effort starts -- and I will claim while the working group proceeds -- but that it should not factor that into the final standardization decision. In this latter stage, this concern looks too much like sour grapes. (Not that it necessarily is, but that it simply is not fair to use it as a basis for rejection at that stage.)