Re: I-D ACTION:draft-alvestrand-ipod-01.txt

2006-05-28 08:24:28
Disclaimer: I haven't read Harald's document yet.

On Saturday, May 27, 2006 07:00:07 AM -0700 Dave Crocker <dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

3. The question is how the title of the series will actually be
interpreted by average folk on the Internet, not what you might have
intended.

Average folk on the Internet have never even _heard_ of the IETF, let alone understand the difference between the IETF, IESG, etc. I'd expect the majority of those who have to interpret "IETF Operationsl Notes" as "notes about the operation of the IETF". A few may interpret the series title to mean "notes from the IETF about the operation of the Internet". For anyone not involved in the IETF, the first meaning is sufficient, and they're not going to care what the process is for approving new ION's or updates to existing ones, or how that impacts the title.

I think it's been stated several times that the intent is not to grant sweeping new powers to the IESG, but to have a document series which encompasses _all_ of our process, practices, and procedures, regardless of approval level. For the purpose of a process experiment, I think we can apply a fairly simple rule - if it would have required a BCP before, it still requires IETF concensus onder the experiment; the document just gets published in the new series instead of the old one. Anything that previously would not have required a BCP still doesn't.

For the long term, if the experiment proves successful, we probably need a more well-defined policy. One approach might be to adopt a model in which all authority derives from the IETF, by IETF consensus model. So, anything which changes he structure or overall process of the IETF requires IETF consensus, but bodies like the IESG, IAB, or IAOC can publish documents on policy or procedure which they are empowered by IETF process to set (e.g. IESG balloting procedures, i-d nits, or criteria for selecting meeting locations) or which are descriptive rather than prescriptive (e.g. the Tao). This probably needs to be formulated better, but I don't think it's necessary to wait for that before beginning the experiment.

-- Jeff