Re: Last Call: 'A Process Experiment in Normative Reference Handling' to Experimental RFC (draft-klensin-norm-ref)

2006-06-02 06:32:21
On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Eric Rosen wrote:
There  are  also   other  reasons  why  I  find   this  proposed  experiment
disheartening.

For  one  thing, it  really  misses  the point.   We  need  to simplify  our
processes, not make them more  complicated.  Either we need the downref rule
or we  don't.  If we want  to experiment, let's  experiment with eliminating
the rule entirely, not with fine tuning it.

The  real underlying  problem of  course  is the  the multi-stage  standards
process is just a relic from another  time, and makes no sense at all in the
current environment.  Experiments in fine tuning the process are nothing but
a distraction.

For the record, I completely agree with the above sentiments (and have so
stated on the newtrk mailing list).

Mike Heard