Re: Last Call: 'A Process Experiment in Normative Reference Handling' to Experimental RFC (draft-klensin-norm-ref)

2006-06-01 10:30:49

that text is not derogatory, but a simply statement of fact.

Sorry, but however you may try to  talk your way out of it, a statement like
"that technology may be unstable" is derogatory.

Until and unless the definitions of maturity levels are changed, that text
is not derogatory, but a simply statement of fact.

I'm afraid that the facts as to whether a technology is stable are in no way
dependent on the IETF's definitions of maturity levels.

If a WG agrees with you about a particular piece of technology,
they have three choices:

Well, 4: they can issue the doc as a PS obsoleting the old PS.

If I writing a document that needed to reference a specification
that was as well-defined, mature, and stable as you posit, I'd
first try to get that specification advanced to the right
maturity level

That's  an interesting  fact about  yourself, but  personally I'd  prefer to
spend my time doing something useful.

But the assertion you are making about a (e.g.) Proposed
Standard specification being stable, mature, well-defined,
widely-deployed, etc., is one that presumably should get some
community review

Sure.   The WG  should not  advance a  doc  to DS  if it  really depends  on
something which  isn't stable.  The WG needs  to be aware of  the facts, and
should not be compelled to insert statements which they know to be false.

you should support this on your  theory that it will create more arguments
and bog things down further.

No,  I  don't think  there's  any  need to  do  anything  that creates  more
arguments  and bogs  things  down  further.  I  understand  that there's  no
consensus on how to avoid the iceberg,  but that doesn't mean I want to take
the time  to run experiments  on more complicated  ways to arrange  the deck
chairs.