Re: Last Call: 'A Process Experiment in Normative Reference Handling' to Experimental RFC (draft-klensin-norm-ref)

2006-06-12 14:05:37
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, John C Klensin wrote:
FWIW, I still think the approach in the draft is a good idea
given that...

(1) We have not been able to get consensus eliminating a
multistep standard process.   For reasons explained elsewhere, I
personally consider that eliminating that process would be a bad
idea, but that is another discussion.   The present reality is
that we don't have that consensus and that blocking incremental
improvements within it is a strange form of "see if we can make
things worse so as to build momentum for a more basic change".
I don't believe in that style of doing things.

(2) We have had repeated claims that the downref issue is a
major cause of perceived IETF slowness in getting documents out
and, especially, of getting documents to advanced maturity
level.  I think that validating (or invalidating) those claims
would be helpful as a goal in itself.  If it results in a
significant number of documents being advanced, that would be a
good thing.  If it results in few or no documents being
advanced, then we know that particular argument is not a
significant part of the picture, and that would, itself, be
useful.

FWIW, I also agree with these and that running the experiment is a good idea. I don't think I'd want to eliminate downref rule completely, but this would seem to allow explicit acknowledgement and/or justification of each downref, which would seem like a good enough for an experiment and not that much work.