RE: Acknowledgements section in a RFC (Was: Last Call: 'Matching of Language Tags' to BCP (draft-ietf-ltru-matching)

2006-06-07 11:22:43
John,

        I disagree both in the belief that the Note Well is
clear on this and the sense of your argument that anyone
participating in any part of a discussion can be made
retroactively responsible for the entire discussion.

        The Note Well is not clear because it makes sweeping
statements about the way in which BCP 78 and 79 may apply
to "contributions".  The obvious (but not clear) intent is
that what you contribute is now subject to provisions of
these BCPs that apply to contributions.  What is both more
subtle and not clearly excluded is that _only_ what you've
contributed applies and that contributing to a work is not
the same as "authoring" it.

        I refer directly to the required RFC inclusions that
specifically use the word "author" and their rights and
responsibilities with respect to IPR and copyrights.  If I
make a comment about a rev -01 version of a draft and stop
participating in the work, I may not be held accountable
for IPR I may know of but which did not enter into the text
until sometime after I stopped looking at it.

        Similarly, if I object to work that has been done, you
may not attach my name to it against my objections - unless
either the Note Well, and the BCPs, both explicitly include
a provision for implied consent.  If that is the case, now,
then it is most certainly not "clear" that it is.

        This is the negative side of the discussion going on.
People are focusing on reasons why someone might want to be
included in acknowledgements.  I am merely pointing out that
it is also possible that someone might not want this.

--
Eric