RE: Acknowledgements section in a RFC (Was: Last Call: 'Matching of Language Tags' to BCP (draft-ietf-ltru-matching)

2006-06-07 09:33:40
Spencer,

        This opens up yet another can of worms.  Suppose that
everybody who makes a comment on a draft (substantive, or
otherwise) has to be listed and every one listed is bound by
BCPs relating to IPR, copyright, etc. in RFC content.

        What happens if someone - perhaps having suggested that
a word was misspelled - would prefer not to be bound by the
BCPs (or perhaps is not permitted to be so bound)?  Can they
request to be left out?  If they do, can an editor leave them
out?

        It occasionally happens now that a draft departs from
the original direction that some of the contributors wanted
it to go, and - slightly less often - those that disagree
with the outcome ask to be de-listed.  There are good and
reasonable reasons to allow this - especially as there may
be very strong reactions from a particular employer that is
seen as "advocating" something they do not intend to do.

        In such cases, these early contributors provided much
of the content - even if the over-all outcome is not in line
with their intentions.  So, again, would we be able to omit
their names?

--
Eric