RE: Acknowledgements section in a RFC (Was: Last Call: 'Matching of Language Tags' to BCP (draft-ietf-ltru-matching)

2006-06-07 11:48:59
Hi,

In transferring responsibility for the Bridge MIBs to IEEE 802, we
learned that the IETF has certain copyrights to documents that have
been submitted to the IETF for IETF purposes. All other rights remain
with the authors, and the IEEE had to contact the authors to get
permission to do non-IETF things with the documents. The IETF has no
authority to transfer the authors' rights to other
organizations/persons for non-IETF purposes.

So it is not important for IETF purposes for the IETF to define
requirements about listing authors and contributors to IETF documents.

It may be important to the authors and contributors and to others who
want to ask those authors for permissions to do non-IETF things, or if
the IETF decides it needs the rights to transfer rights to others for
non-IETF purposes.

David Harrington
dharrington(_at_)huawei(_dot_)com
dbharrington(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net