Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-14 12:16:49
I am personally skeptical about the value of the this experiment.

I am concerned about the long term viability of this particular format. (I saw a recent note about a postscript document that supposedly used only core features of postscript, but still could not be printed on a modern printer.)

I am also concerned that the document does not specify versions and features. I understand that people may have trouble knowing what versions and features of PDF they are using, it is important to remember that PDF is an active format, and I have seen reports that suitably arranged PDF can carry content which causes harm.

Another concern is that this increases the work on the RFC Editor. After performing the editing, and receiving the normative PDF, the RFC Editor must carefully determine if it actually matches the agreed text changes. (Let us assume the author was trying in good faith to do so. Mistakes still get made.) When the PDF was secondary to the text, this was not as large a concern.

Finally, this experiment will produce a set of RFCs which live forever with the limitation that those RFCs do not have normative ASCII. What if we decide that this is a bad idea? How do we fix it?

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern