Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-15 11:24:12

(3) Given how popular xml2rfc is I think it makes sense to at least look at
   how it would best be used to produce PDF documents containing equations and
   block diagrams.

I did this the N-2nd (or maybe 3rd) time we had
this discussion and have refined it since.  See, e.g.,
http://electricrain.com/fenner/tmp/draft-my-document-01.pdf .
That's svg for the picture (also supported are gif, png, jpg,
etc.) and latex for the equation.  It's obviously just a proof
of concept implementation.

The editor screen when working on this document is something
like http://electricrain.com/fenner/tmp/svg_eqn_editing.png .
There's no WYSIWYG editing of the svn or latex, but you get
to see what they look like.

This is a $220 XML editor, but its job is mostly to string
together other pieces of software so although it's not free
software in this implementation, I don't think that means that
the same thing can't be implemented with free software (e.g.,
it uses Batik to render the svg, and if Apache FOP improved
some perhaps it could render the FOP to PDF instead of the
for-pay (or free-to-download-personal-edition) RenderX)

  Bill