Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Additionto ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-15 09:04:40
On 6/15/06, Yaakov Stein <yaakov_s(_at_)rad(_dot_)com> wrote:

What seems to be glaringly obvious is that the same reasons are brought
up time and time again,
as if for the first time.  I assume that the strategy is to bore the
authors of this draft into submission
(or in this case into retraction of a submission).

I moved this up to the top. Other responses follow. The text above is
pretty intellectually dishonest coming from someone who ignored the
opinion of a large number of commenters and went ahead with
essentially the same text they had before. The draft is a joke.

> The document does not specify a particular variety of PDF. There are
many.

This comment has been made many times, and answered equally many.
One of the objects of the experiment os to determine the details of the
PDF to be used.
PDF/A has been suggested.

Then I don't think you've put much effort into this proposal. Be more specific.

> The document does not specify the permitted embedded data formats.
> PDF allows raster and vector images, JavaScript, form validation,
fonts, and much more.

Once again, this has been discussed to death on this list.

Yes, and there was no satisfactory resolution, so why should the
"experiment" go forward.

> PDF and some possible embedded data formats are patent encumbered.
> There are IPR disclosures available.

Read Adobe's RFC 3667 disclosure. They grant a royalty-free license
to anyone who wants to write software to manipulate PDFs,
as long as they are compliant to the specification.
Sounds sufficient to my (IPR trained) eyes.

Your IPR-trained opinion doesn't mean much to me when Adobe is
threatening to sue people (even if it is MS).

> The document incorrectly states that RFC 1119 is available in
"PDF/PostScript", when it is only available in PostScript.

I agree that clicking on the txt version gives an incorrect message that
the file is only available in ps.

Fair enough.

--

Robert Sayre