Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-18 09:56:12
Yaakov Stein schrieb:
How about Tex?

It is as old as the internet and you can use vi to read and edit.
You still can use grep to scan all old documents to find something.

It is also the only method to always get precisely the same printout,
has the best equation typesetting, makes perfectly good diagrams,
and the source is pure future-proof ASCII.

I would say that getting always the same printout is a non-goal.

And there are advanced tools for editing and comparison on all platforms

of which I know, for those who desire something a bit stronger than vi
and grep.

As I have said before, if we decide on TeX instead of XML
we solve all the problems.

You're comparing apples and oranges here. For instance, you could use XSL-FO (an XML format...) which also is closer to presentation markup than the RFC2629 XML format.

Best regards, Julian