Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-19 01:36:36

Besides the misquote of myself, the I-D has some misleading examples of
bad ASCII art.  You cannot honestly prove that ASCII art is unusable
by abusing it.  I spent a few minutes cleaning up the terrible example
in the I-D (Sorry, I am in Washington and don't have ready access to
it; I will forward it when I get back.)

The example of the network in ASCII art was from a real ID that is
being discussed in one of the WG that the experiment is targeting.
We can find many others from active work in the IETF.

The equations are also from active drafts or from RFCs.

This in itself set a limit on the examples that were included in
the draft.

Perhaps we should have included examples of things beyond ASCII art,
for example the formal diagrams employed by the ITU, or the state
tables used by the IEEE.

- Stewart