RE: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-18 23:16:23

I would say that getting always the same printout is a non-goal.

Why? As has been stated previously, in most SDOs the "printed page"
is the final word. One of the many inconveniences of xml2rfc is the need
to add "vspace blankLines" to avoid unfortunate page breaks.

You're comparing apples and oranges here.
For instance, you could use XSL-FO (an XML format...) which also is
closer to presentation markup than the RFC2629 XML format.

Why should the IETF be inventing new tools to create documents at all?
Why aren't we focusing on developing protocols for the IP world,
and adopting existing tools for the mundane task of document creation?

Y(J)S