Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-19 06:01:40
Dear Jeffrey;

I would tend to disagree.

The IETF is mostly a volunteer effort. Unless the volunteers have secret time machines in their basements (I wonder about the IESG...), their time is limited. Time spent on one thing is not available for another.

Also, as the IETF is not entirely a volunteer effort, it has a budget, the current version of
which is here :

http://koi.uoregon.edu/~iaoc/docs/IETF-Budget-FY06-02-16-06.pdf

You will notice $ 100 K USD is going in 2006 to "Tools." (Not enough, IMHO, and this is
likely to increase in the future.) This money is
largely going to maintain the tools that the volunteers make. Now, I am not sure
whether or not xml2rfc is currently being supported by this, but if it
isn't, it will be.

I feel fairly sure that Yaakov was not trying to denigrate the tools team in any way, just to point out the choices made will impact the way resources are spent, and in that
I think he is correct.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks