Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-14 15:19:24

Joel Halpern's comments (below) are right on target. However, Joel is rather too polite.

First, I must request that the Internet Draft be retracted in its present form. Section 4 contains a direct quote from one of my messages. However, the quoted sentence was taken brazenly out of context; its sense is quite the opposite of the sense of my original message. This is intolerable. That kind of behavior may get you elected in the US ;-)
but it does not belong in the IETF.

Now, on to the substance. As the author notes, there was indeed a replay of the usual discussion about RFC formats in winter 2006. The author says, "... the quite thoughtful, extended, and detailed discussion ... resulted in no change". There is a reason it did not result in change... there were cogent arguments against all proposals that were made. So, when it has no good ideas, the IETF randomly picks one of the bad ones?
That is apparently happening here.

How DID it get last called, by the way? If I write up a arbitrary process experiment,
will the IESG automatically last call it?  Yummy.

The experiment picks on two working groups and specifies that for one year it will treat the results of these working groups differently from all other working group output. How will a future implementor know which version is normative? At present, there is a simple rule... it is always the ASCII version. If this exercise goes
ahead, some PDF files (which ones?) will be normative, and some ASCII
files won't.  This seems like a little hint that "process experiment" is not
a useful procedure for changing the fundamentals of standards publication
by the IETF.

Besides the misquote of myself, the I-D has some misleading examples of
bad ASCII art.  You cannot honestly prove that ASCII art is unusable
by abusing it.  I spent a few minutes cleaning up the terrible example
in the I-D (Sorry, I am in Washington and don't have ready access to
it; I will forward it when I get back.)

As Joel mentions, this experiment will have a negative impact on
RFC Editor throughput.  Shouldn't the IAB and perhaps the IAD
have some part in this?

For all the reasons that Joel said, plus the reasons I have given, I
request that the IESG reject this last call.  At the very least, the
base document needs more work, and the implications need
more mature thought.  And it seems to there is a badly broken
process lurking here.

I am somewhat astonished that the IESG chose to last call
'this document.

Bob Braden