Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Formatin AdditiontoASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-18 15:05:49

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 03:46:16PM -0700,
 Joe Touch <touch(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU> wrote
 a message of 85 lines which said:

     - edit source code (argh - back to the stone age)

I always assumed that most people involved in IETF edit source code
daily (I did not say "full-time", I said "at least daily, or, let's be
gentle, weekly").

Was I wrong?

I stopped editing document source code in 1986. The equivalent for
programming is editing assembler. Same thing. Not since the mid 1980s.

And editing (in their raw, text-only, form) document formats like
LaTeX or DocBook or <phb>HTML</phb> or RFC 2629 is much easier than
editing source code.

They're equally antiquated to me; they put me in direct contact with a
level of internal structure that I don't feel gives me more control,
just more nuisance.

Joe