Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Formatin AdditiontoASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-16 22:02:59
On Jun 16, 2006, at 3:46 PM, Joe Touch wrote:

Forcing the input format means one of two things:

        - edit source code (argh - back to the stone age)

I think we would generally get better results if Internet Standards were authored by people who are comfortable editing source code.

        - force a limited set of editing software

That's a fair complaint.

But for what it's worth, professional reference publishing organizations, who care a whole lot about the longevity and re- usability of the material they create, generally do standardize on the editable input format, and assume there will be a variety of output formats generated to meet consumer needs, which change from place to place and time to time. -Tim