RE: Image attachments to ASCII RFCs (was: Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats))

2006-06-16 20:42:25

From: John L [mailto:johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2006 8:27 PM
To: Hallam-Baker, Phillip
Cc: John C Klensin; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: Image attachments to ASCII RFCs (was: Re: Last
Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to
ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats))

You mean that we should update the current medieval print format to
take advantage of the best technology available to the Victorians?

Yeah.  I realize that it's appealing to upgrade to the latest
half inch nine track tapes (a format that lasted 20 years,
after all), but I get the impression that I'm not the only
person who would prefer to move with greater caution.

Nine track was effectively obsolete a decade ago.

No problem getting support for it:

http://www.chicorporation.com/ninetrack/drives/9906.html

The key to making sure you have lasting support is to make sure you choose a
standard that enough people depend on that you are not going to be the only
person needing a compatible exit strategy.