RE: Image attachments to ASCII RFCs (was: Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats))

2006-06-16 17:27:11
You mean that we should update the current medieval print format to take advantage of the best technology available to the Victorians?

Yeah. I realize that it's appealing to upgrade to the latest half inch nine track tapes (a format that lasted 20 years, after all), but I get the impression that I'm not the only person who would prefer to move with greater caution.

Moreover there is a much higher probability that third party tools will support a common W3C/IETF format than an IETF only format.

Part of the charm of ASCII and GIF is that they already widely supported by tools that have nothing to do with either the W3C or IETF.

It seems to me that a good next move would be to figure out if we can arrive at some consensus about what problem we're trying to solve.

R's,
John