RE: Why not PDF: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-19 10:05:33
 My 2 cents worth:

I think that whatever format is chosen, file size is an important
consideration.  If you don't live/work  in a major metropolitan area,
high-speed Internet connections are not available, and it can take
ridiculous amounts of time to download a single large .pdf or .doc file.
The IEEE standards are a good example, even on a high-speed connection,
downloading a single 200-page document takes several minutes.  ASCII is
widely used because it is easy to generate, has very small file sizes,
and is viewable regardless of operating system or platform.  Any
successor to ASCII needs to have similar qualities in order to be
successful.

GIF and PNG files are widely supported, but they also tend to be very
large files.  At best, if these files are going to be included, they
need to be optional.

Best wishes.
Diana

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Dambier [mailto:peter(_at_)peter-dambier(_dot_)de]
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 8:24 AM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Why not PDF: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format
in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

Just try this good example:

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/133654main_ESAS_charts.pdf

It is a nice promotion for the successor to the space shuttle.
Best store it localy before viewing.

It is a nice document with wonderful pictures. But building
the screens takes me hours.

That is one of the reasons why I am afraid of pdf.

Cheers
Peter and Karin Dambier