Re: Why not PDF: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-19 13:42:54
On the other hand, here's a document that we've been working on for a
while, always producing text and ps/pdf due to the inclusion of
graphical state machines:

-rw-r--r--   1 fenner  fenner  290444 Jun  9 14:34 pimspec.pdf
-rw-r--r--   1 fenner  fenner  340594 Jun 14 14:32 pimspec.txt

Interestingly, the PDF is smaller.  I didn't tweak anything to get
this - this was the completely naive "create postscript from the nroff
that generates the .txt" and "create pdf from that postscript"
workflow that we've been using for years.

On the other hand, I created what ghostscript (AFPL Ghostscript SVN
PRE-RELEASE 8.55 (2006-05-20)) claims to be PDF/A (I have to assume
it's -1B since groff doesn't output pdfmark annotations for headers
and footers), and it's much larger:

-rw-r--r--  1 fenner  wheel  1540094 Jun 19 13:18 pimspec-a.pdf

since this one has embedded font subsets even though they're courier,
times and symbol.

 Bill