Re: [Ietf-caldav] Last Call comment on Etag requirements in draft-dusseault-caldav-12

2006-06-19 12:41:30
Lisa Dusseault schrieb:

On Jun 15, 2006, at 9:32 AM, Wilfredo Sánchez Vega wrote:

  I agree with Julian.

As we've mentioned before, Apache returns a weak ETag on PUT, which turns into a strong ETag sometime later. If clients rely on being able to use that ETag on a GET later, they won't work with Apache, and IIRC, Apache is pretty popular.

The ETag requirements in the draft are what many clients authors might *like* to be the common case, but it is most certainly not so today.

It's worse than that; many client authors *assumed* that to be the case, and implemented and deployed their clients assuming that if the client receives a strong ETag in response to a PUT, it has no further work to do to synchronize that resource. So the deployed base says that *is* the case today. I don't feel our document makes this situation any worse than the deployed base of clients already does.

Lisa

Again: do you have any evidence of *shipping* clients making that assumption?

Best regards, Julian