Re: [Ietf-caldav] Last Call comment on Etag requirements in draft-dusseault-caldav-12

2006-06-20 09:57:02
Lisa Dusseault schrieb:

Xythos WFC and Chandler (the Zanshin library that does WebDAV in python) behave this way and make the assumption I describe. How else would you expect a caching or synching client to behave after doing a PUT, when the implementors of those clients were pretty sure that WebDAV servers stored the content without mucking with it?

Chandler is not released and obviously operating based on what the CalDAV spec currently says.

Regarding the Xythos client: I just did some tests, and as far as I can tell the behavior is the same independantly of whether the server returns an ETag in PUT: the client always assumes that content was not rewritten, and in the absence of an ETag uses the Last-Modified date to check. So it seems that it doesn't handle content-rewriting servers at all, right? (one needs to manually purge the cache to get the actual content).

Your turn now: do you have an example of a general-purpose (e.g. file sharing, site synch) shipping client that handles ETags and caches or synchronizes content, which does a full GET of the content immediately after PUT even if it receives a strong ETag?

No. And I don't think it necessarily needs to, unless it assumes that it can use the ETag in subsequent GET/Byte-Range operations.

Even if there are such clients, the behavior we describe avoids nasty errors on both such clients and clients like WFC. It's the conservative choice.

Well, it's a broken choice. There are servers that rewrite content and still return ETags upon PUT, and HTTP allows them do that.

Best regards, Julian