IDs first? RE: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in AdditiontoASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-20 13:26:07

From: Keith Moore [mailto:moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu]

A standards based, future proof, non proprietary solution
to this problem is to adopt:

  * Use of MHTML as the archive packaging.
  * Use of XHTML 1.0 as the document encoding.
  * Use of a standard IETF defined style sheet.
  * Use of PNG encoding for all images.

I like the idea.  But it has to be compatible with software
that people already have.  How many browsers that people
actually use these days support MHTML?

It is supported in IE and Firefox and has been for about five years or so.

The format is currently defined by a Microsoft note but this can easily be made
into an RFC, it is a widely supported standard extension of MIME.

The above would be a restriction on the archive. The only thing one might want
to add in would be the option of adding a last segment that contains a
signature over the other components. This is just ignored.

Creating one of these archives is easy, just view the HTML page and click 'save
as archive'.

Another point to consider, the only sustained objection being made to this
proposal is that future generations may be unable to read the documents.

This particular objection cannot be made credibly with respect to Internet
Drafts which expire in 6 months in any case. Nor do I think it is reasonable to
require support for people using obsolete software in this case. If someone
can't install the latest version of Firefox their ability to contribute to a WG
is going to be negligible in any case.

Innovating in the drafts space makes better sense than in the RFC space. I am
willing to create a one off TXT version. Its having to repeatedly deal with
them that is irritating.