Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Additionto ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-25 09:08:13
Hi -

From: "Stewart Bryant" <stbryant(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2006 8:26 AM
Subject: Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Additionto
ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC
(draft-ash-alt-formats)
What is unique about the work of the IETF that it does not need graphics
to produce precision specifications when the other SDOs do?

Though other organizations use fancy graphics to various degrees,
in the cases where I have first-hand experience (ITU, ISO, DMTF) it's not
clear to me that they actually *needed* to use them.  I think the UML
diagrams that pervade CIM are a good demonstration of how the "need"
to use graphics indicates that something else isn't quite right.

As for traditional mathematical notation, I think resorting to it for
all but the simplest formulas, e.g. "y =(m * x) + b)", often
does a grave disservice to all readers who are not mathematicians.

Randy