Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Additionto ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-25 13:58:25
On 6/25/06, Stewart Bryant <stbryant(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

I am going to assert that the people that go to the various SDO are all of
approximately the same ability - indeed many IETFers go to more than
one SDO, so there is a sort of existance proof.

I am going to also assert that the work of most of these SDOs is of
equivalent sophistication and complexity.

What is unique about the work of the IETF that it does not need graphics
to produce precision specifications when the other SDOs do?

I think Ned's message sums it up... even if you agree that the current
situation is suboptimal, and you agree with all of the assertions
above, this experiment will tell us nothing useful. However, it will
publish one or more RFCs in a format that the IETF as a whole has not
endorsed as acceptable.

In that context, the socratic questioning and heated rhetoric from the
draft's authors can only be seen as energetic handwaving.

--

Robert Sayre