Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Additionto ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-25 13:17:06
On 25-jun-2006, at 21:55, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

IMHO, this would be a very good rule; the IETF is supposedly about running code, and complex equations that the average programmer cannot understand without digging up a college math book are unimplementable in the real world. Pseudocode is far, far more valuable than pretty equations.

I agree one hundred percent. (Or 100%.)

IMHO, a direct result of the above is that any math that cannot be described adequately in ASCII text does not belong in an RFC. This is similar to the view that diagrams that cannot be represented in ASCII art are too complex to be meaningful to the reader.

I'm not sure if I fully agree with that, maybe there are useful diagrams that can't be preserved in ASCII. But nobody has presented a convincing example so far.

The fact that other standards organizations and/or engineering disciplines make extensive use of diagrams doesn't mean we should do the same. It makes a lot of sense to describe a building with a blueprint, because meaningful aspects of a building easily translate into a graphical representation. This is not the case with a protocol = software design. Traditionally, many kinds of diagrams have been used here, but in my experience, with the exception of header format diagrams, they rarely clarify as much as they seem to on first glance.

Every time this debate comes around, I am struck by the notion that normative formats other than ASCII are a solution in search of a problem. About the only argument I've read to date that makes sense is to allow UTF-8 to access characters that do not exist in ASCII, such as for authors' names or better line-drawing characters. Everything else seems to fall into the "our specs aren't as pretty as other SDOs' specs" category.

My conclusion, having participated in this discussion the past week or so, is that there is that limiting ourselves to ASCII does indeed cause inconvenience, but changing to a new format would cause MANY more problems than it solves.