Re: The Accountable Web RE: not listening

2006-06-27 11:47:35
From: Keith Moore [mailto:moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu]

To the extent that they can be understood as separable
issues, I don't have a problem with doing what you describe
in addition to writing the I-D.  But I believe these issues
need a wider visibility than just within the DKIM wg.

I have followed this thread for some time, I have still not seen the actual
issue you wish to raise stated, merely a series of statements pointing to
other places that you claim the statement was made.

That's because this thread started out as a thread about WG processes in
general, with DKIM only as a specific example of the problem.  I don't really
think the IETF list is a good place to go into details about DKIM.  For various
reasons, I don't think the DKIM list is a good place either.  So posting an I-D
is the best I can do.   I certainly don't expect people to respond to my DKIM
concerns until I've taken the time to explain them in detail.  And the whole
point of posting an I-D is to raise those concerns in a timely fashion - well
before Last Call - and in a manner that makes constructive response possible.

Maybe I shouldn't have used DKIM as an example.  To me, the problems are
obvious, but they might not be to anyone who wished to look for them.

I am entirely willing to discuss technical issues relating to DKIM in
particular and the Accountable Web in general.

What I am not prepared to do is to argue over technical issues as proxies for
the political issues that underly them.

These issues exist on multiple layers.  The technical issues and the political
issues are both important, separately and because of their interaction.
Without responding in detail to your screed about the Accountable Web (as if
that were an unimpeachable Guiding Principle to which We Should All Aspire), I
will say that I do have sympathy for some of the concerns you express.  I also
believe that to some extent, the ability to communicate anonymously is
necessary for the good of society.  I also believe that creating an
authentication system that favors large domains over small ones, and inflexible
signing policy over flexible signing policy, is bad for society.  The trick is
getting a balance between these.   Some of my concerns about DKIM are in this
area, but not all of them.

Keith