Re: The Accountable Web RE: not listening

2006-06-27 12:11:15
On 27-jun-2006, at 20:28, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

This is currently the case in email. My reputation, the reputation of my employer are diluted because anyone can send mail that purports to come from that domain name

How can you say that in an unsigned message?

and there is no widely deployed authentication infrastructure.

Wide enough to make your employer a good deal of money...

You can use S/MIME (Wikipedia: "S/MIME functionality is built into the vast majority of modern e-mail software") if you want to reach a wide audience or PGP/GPG for a smaller one that includes a significant part of the IETF membership.

If we are going to do anything about the pedophile predators lurking in Internet chat rooms we have to create the understanding that there is accountability.

The question that always raises with me is: at what age should children be allowed on the internet? The fact that apparently, these people manage to find vinctims online makes me think that there are children online that are too young for this.

The perverts would not approach a minor in a public area with the type of advance they use in a chat room, they know that they can be observed.

I don't think the solution is this simple. Also, law enforcement doesn't have too much trouble finding out where a certain IP address is used as long as there are no jurisdiction problems, which I assume isn't a huge problem in this particular set of cases.