The IETF 66 Attendees Alias

2006-07-10 16:15:32
Folks;

I understand the utility and need for the administrative staff to have
a mailing alias for all registered delegates for the 66th IETF event.
However, in all the meetings I have attended - which is more than a
few, but less than most of you - I have never been deluged with such a
volume of non-critical announcements in my main inbox.

I hope that people will understand my strong desire and sympathize
with my point of view when I request that all general IETF messages be
posted uniquely to the IETF general list and that this address be
reserved only for the critical or emergency announcements by the
administrative staff. One step better would be for this address to be
moderated so we no longer receive various complaints about water
closets and wifi unless we seek them out on the IETF discussion lists.
:-)

Perhaps if there is a strong desire to have a 'hallway or watercooler
style' list for discussions pertaining uniquely to IETF 66 attendees,
we could create a NEW mailing list that is OPT-IN called
66attendees-chat (or similar) at ietf.org. I'd even volunteer to set
one up (at a different domain of course) for the duration of IETF 66.

My sincere apologies if I have misunderstood the purpose of the
66attendees address but my BlackBerry is going crazy with things that
I would not normally choose to have in my commercial, corporate email
box.

Respectfully,

Alan Hawrylyshen