Re: Meetings in other regions

2006-07-12 18:57:22
On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
Just to give some extra *valuable* info about my comment in the plenary.
1) Meetings cost money. Doing meetings in Latin America/Caribbean and
Africa, will save a lot of cost to IETF as an organization.
5) There have been already some offers to sponsor meetings there (even if I
believe the sponsorship should be changed from what we have now, but this is
a different topic).

No doubt some parts of such a meeting cost would be cheaper. Actually meetings don't "cost" IETF money though, as Ray's slides showed, meeting revenues are higher expenses. Perhaps the bottom line (facilities cost, food/beverages, sponsorship, hosting expenses, network connectivity, etc.) has not been significantly different from a more traditional and less risky location or logistics haven't worked out.

Personally, I have no particular desire to meet in Africa or Latin America/Caribbean but if the IAOC feels that makes a significant difference financially I'd have no problem with it. They've been chosen to make that call so that we don't need to worry about it.