Re: netwrk stuff

2006-07-12 19:00:57
On 12-jul-2006, at 19:36, Fred Baker wrote:

RFCs are published as Informational, Proposed Standard or Experimental. This represents the confidence level the IETF/IESG has at the moment of publication. Irrespective of I/PS/E, a document may move to Standard (which replaces Draft Standard and Internet Standard) or Historic if its implementation and deployment warrant this. The IESG publishes a short note explaining the rationale when changing designations.

Seems mostly reasonable.

I do believe that there is value in the BCP status, and would add it to the above.

Yes, that makes sense.

I would also argue in favor of the "Historic" status. Documents are rarely published as historic, although it has happened (RFC 1716). But they should be allowed to become historic at some future date.

Sure, I wasn't saying anything to the contrary, except that I didn't include publishing as historic, which I hope should be rare.