RE: +1

2006-07-15 06:10:04
And what happens if somebody responds with a +2?

Is there anything useful this mailing list could discuss?

dbh

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Thomas [mailto:mat(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com]
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2006 7:13 AM
To: IETF Discussion
Subject: +1

Is it just in my part of the ietf woods, or is this becoming
a widespread
phenomenon? If so, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

On the one hand, it can be really difficult to get a feel for
consensus on
a mailing list where silence may mean agreement, boredom with the
topic, or just... silence. And then there's the general
problem that since
we're engineers  articulations of agreement generally start with
some
form of "it depends". So maybe a short hand way of saying "this is
good enough for me, let's not go into the weeds by my agreeing for
potentially different reasons" is a generally Good Thing.

On the other hand, it sure seems like this sort of thing can be
gamed.
That is, somebody posts something and three or four of the
usual suspect
chime in with their +1 and lo and behold it looks a lot more
like consensus
than the previous "it depends" tomes. But is it really
consensus, or is it
just (benignly) a way for the usual suspects to signal to
each other that
they are willing live with another's proposal (which is not
to say that
that is necessarily a small thing in itself)? And what about
when it's not
benign? Could it be that +1 could be a way to short circuit
inspection and
debate in er, um, more, um, politicized settings?

That and it seems all so very <aol>me too!</aol>

       Mike