Re: +1

2006-07-17 01:03:38
On Jul 15, 2006, at 4:13 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:

Is it just in my part of the ietf woods, or is this becoming a widespread
phenomenon? If so, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Over in Atompub, this has become the normal idiom for reacting to proposals, with common usages such as +/- 0 and 0.5. We even use it to do WG surveys when there are multiple apparently-plausible options on the table. "Rough consensus" may occasionally be deduced from the presence of quite a few +1's and almost no -1's. It seems to work OK.

For example, "-0" is an awful lot fewer bytes than "I don't like that, but I won't lie down in the road over it".

Obviously, everyone multiples the numeric quantity by their own estimate of the credibility of the person uttering it.

 -Tim