Re: [IAOC] Re: RFC Editor RFP Review Request

2006-07-27 08:14:41

Leslie Daigle wrote:

Note that I never said that the IAB was not part of the
IETF family/universe/collection.

The important thing is that the IAB is independent in
its decision making, and not subject to the IESG's
whims or strictly bound by the IETF's input, which appeared to
be the key elements in your concerns of IETF "ownership".

draft-iab-rfc-editor-01 (now in the repository) lays out a
framework for the IAB to ensure there is a (broader-than-IETF)
community-defined RFC series, with community input and
feedback.

So -- it's a proposal for community-driven RFC Series
not under IETF (IESG) control.

So:
        - the IAB is part of the IETF family

        - draft-iab-rfc-editor-01 (surprise)
        lays out a framework where the IAB
        (i.e., IETF family) declares itself
        responsible for ensuring broader-than-IETF
        input/feedback to the RFC series

My position is that:

        - the RFC series includes independent
        submissions (at least at this point
        let's assume that, but we - the non-IETF
        community - may need to revisit if the rest
        is not possible - which is why I'm including
        independent(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org in this discussion.

                note: it's unfortunate that this discussion
                is continuing here, rather than there.

        - independent submissions MUST NOT assume or
        require IETF family control - either direct
        or indirect

                A board of directors/advisors is fine,
                but NOT the IAB, IETF, or IETF family,
                and NOT appointed by the IAB, IETF, or IETF family.

        - independent documents MUST NOT be required to
        include IETF-family disownership assertions

*independent* means that. It does NOT mean IETF-family controlled.

Joe