Re: [IAOC] Re: RFC Editor RFP Review Request

2006-07-27 08:02:13

Note that I never said that the IAB was not part of the
IETF family/universe/collection.

The important thing is that the IAB is independent in
its decision making, and not subject to the IESG's
whims or strictly bound by the IETF's input, which appeared to
be the key elements in your concerns of IETF "ownership".

draft-iab-rfc-editor-01 (now in the repository) lays out a
framework for the IAB to ensure there is a (broader-than-IETF)
community-defined RFC series, with community input and
feedback.

So -- it's a proposal for community-driven RFC Series
not under IETF (IESG) control.

Leslie.

Joe Touch wrote:

Leslie Daigle wrote:
[*] This is perhaps a reasonable time to reiterate that
the IAB is, in fact, a separate entity from the IETF organization.

There are many who believe that all RFCs are Internet standards
documents, thus the current concern with adding IESG non-review
statements to independent submission (which I reiterate - I do not
recognize their right to do so).

There are many who also believe that the IAB, by virtue of being
appointed by exactly the same body as the IESG, is part of the "IETF".

You can point to your org chart all you want; sauce for the goose is
sauce for the gander. Either the actual differences matter, or we're
working off of public perception.

Perhaps it's time that the IETF demand that all IAB statements and
documents begin with an IETF "separate entity" disclaimer as well?

Joe