Re: [IAOC] Re: RFC Editor RFP Review Request

2006-07-27 10:23:46
--On Thursday, 27 July, 2006 14:40 +0200 Brian E Carpenter
<brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com> wrote:

My main object is for the RFP to say to a prospective RFC
Editor that the delineation of the independent submission
series will be under the  contract holder's management in
some way, allowing input from the editor.   I want to urge
this just because the RFC series is shared by four streams.
In justifying this before, I've talked mainly about the IETF
stream because it is the one I know the best, but I could
also detail taking this care for the others.  Anyway, here's
a revised proposal for the text:

NEW NEW:
      1) Edit and publish with the same steps as IETF
     community documents but with clear indications that
     these belong to an independent series.  Specifics of
     these indications will be developed and authorized
     by an appropriate party to be determined, with input
     from the RFC Editor.

Since I have found myself in the uncomfortable position of
being temporary spokesperson for those whose views are
somewhat more conservative than mine, let me suggest, as a
clarification what this would look like if done from a more
traditional view (please see many earlier comments to clarify
the use of "conservative" and "traditional"):

             ... When documents are published at the request of the
             IETF community, including for this purpose the IAB and
             IRTF, include clear indications about the status and
             origin of these documents.  Develop appropriate
             indications in conjunction with the requesting bodies...

It's my opinion that we should stay silent on this matter in
the
RFP. It really won't be a crucial issue in analyzing the bids,
and we have time to work out the words before negotiating the
final
SOW.

I think I would argue for symmetry (i.e. John's words are fine
for
the I* streams but I'd like to see something equivalent for the
Independent stream).

Explanation:

I agree with all these points. I believe the RFP text is
compatible
with them.

Brian,

I hope you are right.  However, I see one condition on which the
RFC must reflect the nature of decisions about these questions.
Suppose we had two groups of entities that might logically
respond to the RFP.

One group, for whatever current or historical reasons, is
strongly committed to the independent submission model, perhaps
even with Joe's definition of "independent" (which I personally
sympathize with but consider a little extreme--see separate,
forthcoming, note).  The role they are interested in involves an
RFC Editor-like function that is somewhat independent of the
IETF although willing to publish IETF-produced specifications
more or less as required by the IETF.  If that is not the
definition of the role, they might lose interest in the
IASA-specified job, instead deciding to try to establish a
publication series that focused on documents and pieces that
serve the networking community, perhaps at the boundary between
research and ready-to-deploy specifications, but not moving into
standards.

The second group might, hypothetically, care less about these
issues and be more interested in a "whatever the IETF wants"
editing/ publishing job, which might or might not include an
IESG-supervised "independent" thread.

I don't need to take a position here on which of those
approaches would be better for the IETF or the broader
community.  But, if groups aligned with the different approaches
exist, then it seems to me that we have two problems that the
RFP cannot plausibly avoid:

(1) An RFP aligned with "the IETF leadership is in control of
everything" is not going to get a response (or at least should
not get a response) from members of the first group.   They
can't very well respond within the terms of such an RFP and hope
to renegotiate the relationship later.   That would also
constitute use of language in the RFP to determine who can
plausibly bid.  That is something the IASA can clearly do, but
it probably isn't wise, especially if there really is support
for an independent process in the IETF community.

(2) If the first group then goes off and identifies funding and
an institutional home for that non-standards-publication
mission, they might have a legitimate historical claim to
calling the documents they produce "RFCs" and even continuing
RFC numbering from whatever the last number was as of the end of
December (or whenever the current arrangements terminate).  At
that point, if the IETF continues to use the "RFC" terminology
and its own, divergent, series numbering, we have, at best,
massive confusion which, whatever its other properties, does not
serve the Internet community well.  Of course, there is also the
possibility of either that first group and institutional sponsor
or the IASA, deciding that the confusion level is high enough
that they needed to seek a legal determination about rights to
the "RFC" terminology.   Whatever the outcome of that process,
the one thing that can be guaranteed is that the community loses.

I believe we need to invest some serious effort in avoiding
those scenarios, not just hoping that the RFP can be issued
while ignoring them and the possibility of their arising.

    john